Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Curitiba Day 2

On my second day here in Curitiba I decided to take the Linha Turismo (tourist bus line) that let’s you jump on and off a bus following a set route to check out interesting sights both in and around the city center. I was a bit disappointed when I found out these buses weren’t the same as the cool tube busses, but I definitely recommend this bus for any visitor to Curitiba. It rained all day today, so I zoomed through the outdoor sights spending only the 30-minute interval between when one tourist base dropped me off and the next would arrive to pick me up. The sites where still worth seeing and I wish I could have stayed at them longer under better weather conditions, but given my limited time schedule the poor weather probably let me see more things than I would have.

Traveling alone lets you do a whole lot of site seeing and take pictures of more things than you probably should. So I’ve posted a few of the more interesting pictures here and you can check out the rest of my pictures here

Rua das flores
A few streets in the city center have been set as pedestrian only thoroughfares. This gives a bit of a European feel to the city center.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Rua 24 horas

This interesting little spot was created by the city to generate a nightlife. As the name implies the street is open 24 hours. I dropped by here at around midnight and yes it was open, but not a whole lot other than an internet café, and some bars. But still a cool idea

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jardim Botânico

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Museu Oscar Niemeyer

I love this building. The museum has a tiny bit about Oscar Niemeyer, the man who has pretty much designed every modern building in Brazil. The museum has modern art and other exhibits. But everything just seems like a pretense to have such a cool exterior.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Universidade Livre do Meio Ambiente

I still don’t know what this place does but the idea of a Free University for the Environment is really exciting. Even more so when you find out that it was opened up in 1992 with Jaques Cousteau around for the ribbon cutting ceremony. The best part of this site is that you feel like your walking through the jungle before leading you to a clearing with an impressive cliff and elaborate tree house type structure that houses the classrooms and offices of UNILVRE

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: