Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I arrived in China

I’ve arrived in China. My initial reaction is wow! Everything looks so modern. However, the sky is thick and gray, which looks like an intense marine layer or heavy fog, but I know better. This thick air is what Beijing has become infamous for, filled with heavy particulate matter from its coal burning power plants and growing fleet of cars. In fact, visibility is so bad, I can hardly see more than a few blocks in front of me before everything disappear in to foggy haze. But in my limited exposure to Beijing, I am amazed with how clean everything looks. The ride from the airport to my apartment is about an hour. We passed tree-lined streets and freshly planted buildings with plenty more under construction.

It’s hot and muggy, but not unbearable. My room is simple with what could have been an impressive view of the city, since I am on the 15th floor, but all I can see are the buildings that are closest to mine Here are some pictures of my room. I tried to get a picture from my window, but, not surprisingly all I got was a fuzzy gray image. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I have to admit that it hasn’t fully sunk into me that I am in China. I t just feels like I am in some really big Chinatown. I guess I can thank globalization for letting me feel like I am in any modern city anywhere in the world. Hopefully as I get to explore China more I will refine my impressions. But for now, Beijing is pleasant, hot and muggy, clean, modern and fuzzy.

No comments: