Friday, August 10, 2007

Food to Dai for!

Beijing has some amazing food options, and I am fortunate enough to live near the University of nationalities, which I think has attracted a fair number of ethnic restaurants. There are 55 ethnic minority groups in China, though they make up only 8.4% of the population (or course that’s 106.4 million people). It’s been great exploring the great variety of the cuisine thanks to this diversity.

Andrea turned me on to this Dai food restaurant, and I think I've found my new favorite place. It’s hard to describe the food other than absolutely savory. We ordered three items, this tater tot-like dish, which were mashed potato balls deep fried and arriving with a dipping sauce that I only wish I could buy jars of to take home with me. Then there was the eggplant dish smothered in this dark sauce and again completely amazing. And finally there was the pineapple rice that is served inside the pineapple. Andrea and I gobbled up everything on our plates and are looking forward to going back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've eaten a lot of provincial Chinese cuisine before, but I don't think I've tried Dai food. I'll have to look for places to take you when you get back.... Giang Guo Tuan