Monday, August 21, 2006

Campinas life

Ok, so I have finally, finally started to do some work. I’m working with Roberto Luiz do Carmo and will be looking at popular participation in regards to water resources in Campinas. I found a bunch of articles that I need to read and I’m developing my workplan. But in the few days that I’ve been in town I did some wandering and thought I’d show you a few points of interest. Though UNICAMP is in Campinas, its located in a part of town called Barrão Geraldo which is located about 15 minutes from the center of Campinas. Here the McDonalds functions as the main point of reference, so I just look for the golden arches to orient myself.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There also seems to be a few types of establishments that dominate this part of town, Pet shops/Veterinarian offices, bars, and real estate offices.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There is a clear difference between life in Campinas and São Paulo. Some times while walking around I have to do a double take and ask myself, where am I? Here cars are the primary form of transportation, which is a bit tough for me since I don’t have one. There are busses that circulate, though not as frequently, and many establishments here seem to follow the same suburban planning as in the states complete with parking lots and drive-thrus. This mainly applies to life in Barrao Geraldo, as the center of Campinas looks like it could be another section of Sao Paulo. I'll post some pics for center Campinas in a future post.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: